NFL Fantasy Football - 2013 Top 10 Team Defenses & Special Team Predictions, Previews, & Rankings
Finally NFL Football is back, training camps have opened for several teams and rest of the NFL will break camps by end of the week. Today we continue our 2013 Picks & Parlays Fantasy Football preview by looking at our Top 10 Defenses.
The evolution of the NFL into a pass happy league has made it more difficult that ever for NFL defenses. Rules are such that NFL offenses have big advantages. Getting a solid Fantasy Football defense has become much tougher, but we have nailed down the Top 10 Defenses for upcoming 2013 Fantasy drafts.
2013 Top 10 NFL Fantasy Football Defense/Special Teams
1. Seattle Seahawks - Best secondary in NFL will be near top of league in interceptions, plus a above average pass rush will be in top 10 in sacks. If you get Special Team points with your defense then Seahawks get ton of bonus points with best return game in NFL.
2. Houston Texans - Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips has take a step forward in each year he has been in Houston and we have faith that Texans will once again be near top of NFL. Best pass rush in NFL with bad division spells ton of fantasy points in 2013. Not the best special teams unit but not the worst either.
3. Denver Broncos - Great pass rush with revamped secondary makes Denver solid 2013 Fantasy Defense. Only reason not in top 2 is the suspension of their best defensive player (Von Miller) for first 4 games. Elite return game should give you ton of bonus special team points.
4. Cincinnati Bengals - Yes the Bungals are #4 on our list. Cincinnati DC Mike Zimmer has maybe the most under rated defense last three seasons. Carlos Dunlap is best interior defensive lineman and his abilities allow their fast speed rushers to rack up the sacks. Improving deep secondary could give Cincinnati real shot at third straight double digit win season.
5. San Francisco 49ers - Niners made ton of off season moves to ensure a better secondary but not sure it will work. Saving grace for 49ers is their front 7, maybe the best front in NFL should cover up many of their secondary issues. Solid special teams unit but not game changers in the return game.
6. Chicago Bears - Big gap from top 5 defenses to rest of the NFL Fantasy teams, including an aging Chicago Bears team. Bears have always lived off the turnover but this might be the year when it can't save them.
7. Pittsburgh Steelers - Missed playoffs in 2012 was blamed on aging defense, off season was spent getting young on defensive side of the ball. Not sure Steelers will be any better on defense but DC Dick Lebeau defenses live on turnovers.
8. St Louis Rams - Could be big jump up for Rams defense in 2013. Love the pass rush, which should result in bunches of turnovers. If this unit stays healthy could be steal in your fantasy draft.
9. Baltimore Ravens - Losses of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis will cost them early but Baltimore still has ton of big play makers. Ravens will be steal late in any fantasy draft.
10. Miami Dolphins - Our team to watch in AFC, might just be most improved defense this year. Pass rush will be improved which should result in big increase in sacks and interceptions. Add in solid special teams and Miami would be great late Fantasy Draft option.