The nation may be gripped by the fear of the Coronavirus right now and many sports and events have been cancelled. However, the future odds are out for the Heisman Trophy Race. Now, the odds are out early, but the players that top the list of potential candidates definitely make it easier for you to see that they are fairly even and definitely predictable on who would be the favorite.
Top 3 Heisman Candidates
Justin Fields from Ohio State tops the list of the players who are favored to win the Heisman Trophy. Now, the key thing is this season will be the second one that Fields has as a starter. Last season Field had a decent year going 238/354 with 3,273 yards thrown with 41 touchdowns. Fields only threw a total of 3 picks on the year.
Trevor Lawrence is the famed Clemson quarterback who has really lit a fire under the Tigers offense. Lawrence is coming into the 3rd year as a starter. Last year Lawrence went 268/407 and managed to get 3,665 yards with 36 touchdowns, but was picked off 8 times.
Spencer Rattler is one star that has a rising star for the Sooners. Rattler will be making his first full year as a starting quarterback. Rattler last year did show up decent in the year while going 7/11 with 81 yards. Rattler did get a touchdown in the game. The downside is this season is the first year the Rattler is starting and that could be overwhelming for a young quarterback.
Two Sleepers For The 2020 Heisman Trophy
It is odd to see a team land 2 potential Heisman candidates but that is what Clemson did with Travis Etienne being one of the sleepers. The running back for the Tigers is entering his senior year after having a great year in 2019. Last year Etienne carried the ball 207 time for 1,614 yards and 19 touchdowns. Etienne ended up getting 37 receptions for 432 yards and 4 touchdowns.
Ian Book comes from Notre Dame and it has been quite some time since someone from Notre Dame was able to bring home the Heisman. Book managed to do really well last year as the quarterback for Notre Dame as he went 240/399 on the year with 3,034 yards and 34 touchdowns. Book did throw a total of 6 picks in the game.
Our Longshot For The Heisman Trophy
Najee Harris is reported to come back for his senior season. While it was speculated that Harris would go to the draft this year, Harris has decided to forgo the draft. That may allow Harris to build on his junior year when he had 209 carries with 1,224 yards and 13 touchdowns. Out of the backfield Harris did land 27 receptions for304 yards and 7 touchdowns.
2020 Heisman Trophy Odds
- Justin Fields (Ohio State) +450
- Trevor Lawrence (Clemson) +475
- Spencer Rattler (Oklahoma) +1000
- Sam Ehlinger (Texas) +1200
- Jamie Newman (Georgia) +1400
- Chub Hubbard (Oklahoma State) +1600
- Travis Etienne (Clemson) +1800
- Ian Book (Notre Dame) +2000
- Kedon Slovis (USC) +2500
- Kyle Trask (Florida) +2500
- Mac Jones (Alabama) +2500
- Sam Howell (North Carolina) +2500
- Bo Nix (Auburn) +2800
- Myles Brennan (LSU) +2800
- Lynn Bowden Jr. (Kentucky) +3300
- Spencer Sanders (Oklahoma State) +3300
- Najee Harris (Alabama) +4000
- Sean Clifford (Penn State) +4000
- Brock Purdy (Iowa State) +5000
- Derek Stingley Jr. (LSU) +5000
- Hamilcar Rashed Jr. (Oregon State) +5000
- Journey Brown (Penn State) +5000
- Tanner Morgan (Minnesota) +5000
- Trey Sanders (Alabama) +5000
- Chatarius Atwell (Louisville) +6600
- Devonta Smith (Alabama) +6600
- Dillon Gabriel (UCF) +6600
- Ja'Marr Chase (LSU) +6600
- Jaret Patterson (Buffalo) +6600
- Javian Hawkins (Louisville) +6600
- Jaylen Waddle (Alabama) +6600
- Kenneth Gainwell (Memphis) +6600
- Michael Penix Jr. (Indiana) +6600
- Penei Sewell (Oregon) +6600
- Rondale Moore (Purdue) +6600
- Tylan Wallace (Oklahoma State) +6600
- Zamir White (Georgia) +6600
Free NCAAF Pick:
The race of the Heisman is fairly wide open. However, Fields is the leading candidate and the main challenge for the title comes from Clemson. The downside for Fields is the Ohio State team tends to have a huge turnover each year in skilled positions and that could definitely present a problem for Fields. However, Fields is a better quarterback and has a tendency to make plays happen. Not to mention Fields was the better quarterback when it comes to the touchdown versus interception ratio and the better player at making plays happen. Look for Fields to continue to build upon that success to bring home another Heisman trophy to Ohio State. Heisman Trophy Winner, Justin Fields,